Tuesday, October 29, 2013

BLT - On the Healthier Side

I love sandwiches.  To me they are the perfect lunch, but unfortunately sandwiches are not always the healthiest option, and are not very conducive to a gluten free diet.

One of my favorite sandwiches is the BLT.  Really, what's not to love?  Bread -Yum!  Lettuce and tomato -Yum!  Mayonnaise -Yum! Bacon -Yum Yum!  Unfortunately, the average BLT has approximately 550 calories, many of them coming from saturated fat and sugar.  So, I have set out to make a BLT that is delicious and nutritious.

To start out I decided to replace pork bacon with Jennie-O turkey bacon.  Having only 30 calories per slice and 2 grams of protein, I allow myself to have 4 slices for my lunch.

The other major adjustment I make is not using bread.  That's right, this is a mostly carbless BLT!

Also, the one ingredient that makes my recipe a little different than a typical BLT is green onion.  GREEN ONION + BACON = Amazing.  Since I am taking away the delicious bread, green onion adds a nice bit of flavor.

Ok, here is my official "recipe".

- 4 slices of turkey bacon (120 cals)
- 1 TBS of mayonnaise (90 cals)
- 2 leaves of romaine lettuce (11 cals)
- 1 whole small tomato (25 cals) 
- 1 green onion (5 cals)
- salt and pepper to taste

Total Calorie Count - 251 Cals

Wash and lay the two romaine leaves out.  Add 1/2 TBS of mayonnaise to each leaf. Cut the green onion in half long ways and add each half to the lettuce leaves.   Slice the tomato and add lay on top of the green onion.  Sprinkle the tomato with salt and pepper if you like.  Add cooked turkey bacon to the top, and eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment